*Keep some leftover chicken if you want to make the roast chicken salad for lunch the next day!
2 sprigs of rosemary, chopped
2 sprigs of thyme, chopped
6-8 cloves of garlic, chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (2kg/4 lb) whole chicken
300g (11 oz) new potatoes
1/2 butternut squash or same amount of carrots and parsnips
2 red onions, chopped
250ml (8 fl oz) white wine
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C (Gas Mark 7).
- Finely grate lemon zest into a bowl and add the rosemary and 2 cloves of the garlic, salt, pepper and teaspoon of olive oil; mix. Rub mixture under the chicken skin. Cut the lemon in half and pop inside chicken cavity. If you want you can brush olive oil or butter onto the chicken skin with some salt but this isn't nearly as healthy.
- Roast for 20 minutes then turn the oven down to 190 degrees C (Gas 5). Roast for another 50 minutes. (Remember to follow the 20 minutes per pound of chicken plus 20 minutes)
- Place the new potatoes and vegetables, sliced onion and garlic cloves into a roasting tray. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with olive oil. Roast for an hour.
- The vegetables and chicken should be covered and left to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Pour the the meat juices from the roasting tray into a small saucepan. Add the wine, stirring quickly. Use as gravy to serve. Remove the skin if you want to reduce the fat and calories!